Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2017

2016 in Review

For the last few years, I have done a year in review blog post in which I talk about books and movies and music and such that I was really into. I have summarized the year, my thoughts, my successes, and my struggles. I have talked about the previous year's one word hashtag, and I have gotten pumped about the current year's one word hashtag.


In 2016, it was the year of #2016adventure. And while it is true that I took adventure, it was much more a year of bravery and of rest. For the first time in my adult life, I haven't changed jobs in a year. I moved from an apartment alone to a house with a friend in my hometown at the end of January 2016, but I kept the year consistent afterward.


It is nice to take up the moments of rest and of growth and of finding new passions within myself; it is also difficult to be complacent, to be open, to be still. I wish I could say that it was easy to rest in my life, but it's not. I'd much rather be telling people about everything new. It wasn't the year for that.


In 2017, I expect big changes. Also, I expect big things to stay the same. I am terrible at predicting anything, but I am giving away my fear and placing my trust in God, "fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith," (Hebrews 12:2 NASB).


So, here we go, #2017courage. I'm as ready for it as I'll ever be.


Before I get ahead of myself too much, let's wrap up some great things from last year.


Movie of the year: Bad Moms. Oh, dang, I'm not a mom, but I could watch this every day (which is why I bought it on DVD the minute it was released). While there are obviously questionable parts to the movie, I just love how the "bad moms" became comfortable as imperfect leaders. They accepted that they aren't polished, but they want what is right for their kids and for the school. It's a layered movie with a great cast, and I *maybe* saw it in theaters twice because I am obsessed with it.


Animated movie of the year: Ok, so it's a toss up between Zootopia and Moana. I didn't know what to expect with Zootopia, and because I'm not an animal-loving type of person, I assumed I would have to pretend to like it when I watched it. Nope. I loved every second of that justice-loving, truth-seeking little rabbit's life. Also, Moana gets all the heart emojis. I knew I would love the music because it was written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, but I also loved the story. Let's not agree to send pre-teens on a solo adventure across the sea in real life, though I'm totally ok with Moana going to find her way, meet Maui and soften his arrogant heart, and personifying the ocean. Such a cool idea. Mad props to the crazy grandma because I think that's me in 50 years.


In 2017, I need to start listing tv shows that I watch. I know I got through Gilmore Girls (love!), 30 Rock (funny but not always attention-capturing), Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (love but confusing at times...and the ending...whoa), and of course Glee (because it's Glee).


Musical theater album of the year: Umm, I don't think I bought one. Seriously. All year. Because I listen to Hamilton every.single.day. I'm still drinking the Kool-Aid on that. #Hamilobsessedwitheverything


Professional musical theatre performances I saw this year: Wicked (6th time), Beauty and the Beast, If / Then (2nd time), and If / Then (3rd time). The first three shows were at the Fabulous Fox Theatre in St. Louis, and the final show was at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in Nashville. I am limiting myself to only seeing Wicked once per year, so it was really sad that I couldn't justify going to see the show at distant cities over the summer because I had already watched my favorite musical of all time on January 2nd. After seeing If / Then on Broadway in the summer of 2014, it was so cool to see the visual changes to the show while on tour. I had not intended to see If / Then in Nashville until I found out that LaChanze, part of the original Broadway cast, was rejoining the tour for that stop, so *of course* I had to go.


I saw some really great local theatre as well this year. Two of my favorites included Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Children of Eden. Both shows were performed at a local university, and I am wondering who is obsessed with the Old Testament in the musical theatre department. Regardless, I loved both musicals that are new to me.


In 2015, I really neglected traveling, so I was intentional about taking as many trips as possible. As always, I went to Springfield, IL in March for Beta Club state convention with my students. In May, I went to Ft. Walton Beach, FL for a weekend with my family. I came back before the rest of the family, and driving back alone was brutal, though I felt extremely accomplished (and tired) upon arrival at home. I traveled with my students in June to Beta Club national convention in New Orleans, LA. It was neat to get to experience such a different culture within our country with some phenomenal students. In September / October, I traveled with a friend to Texas. I had never visited the state, but I put it on my list of things to accomplish in 2016. We went to Dallas for the Belong Tour, and I met some of my friends who I had made from non-fiction book launching. Then, we went to Austin where we accidentally ate Chicago-style pizza (because we couldn't find the bbq place I was looking for and got frustrated) and then worshipped with Austin New Church which was started by some of my favorite authors, Jen and Brandon Hatmaker. Most of my trips were really short, but each one packs great memories.


In 2016, I vowed not to read any fiction books. It was such a change after loving fiction and exclusively reading it until a few years ago to now cutting myself off from it intentionally, thought I didn't really miss it. I read some fiction when I helped my sister with homework, and I considered reading a few Shakespearean plays, but I mainly stuck with non-fiction, and it was awesome.


Narrowing down my favorite books I read in 2016 may be the most difficult part of my day, and I'm ok with that. I could talk about books all day, er'ry day (throwback to 2009 me for existing).
In the non-Christian non-fiction genre, I think #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso was my favorite. I haven't worked at an art gallery just for the health insurance (though it's not a bad idea...) and I won't be building a fashion empire like Nasty Gal, but I love her desire to stick with her creative skills while also balancing her administrative capabilities and responsibilities, something for which I strive to find balance. I also liked Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman. I know it's typical #litnerd of me to say that I like the book better than the tv show, but it's true. While I did enjoy the first season of OITNB, the book is a much more honest portrayal of Piper's real experiences in prison. The book opened my eyes to the difficulties of the prison system (but Netflix's documentary, 13th, is much more in depth about this).


In the Christian non-fiction genre, I have picked a few books, though I could go on and on about the great things I read. I did a lot of launch teams (basically I got a free book in exchange for writing an honest review and doing promotions) in 2015 and the start of 2016, and I slowed down the second half of the year. I was leaning into my rest and enjoying the words rather than forcing myself to read faster so I could get content out quicker.


Honorable mention: Create vs. Copy by Ken Wytsma (launch team). I love how Ken write that we are all meant to be creative because God created us. It was such a profound idea at the time of reading it, and it put words to the thoughts I had.


Third place: Giddy Up, Eunice by Sophie Hudson (launch team). Sadly, I didn't know much about Sophie before I was chosen for this team, but I'm so glad I get to know her now. I love her wisdom,  her humor, her kindness, and her love for Christ and for others. Sophie writes about the power of multi-generational friendships which is a big part of my life, and I deeply connected with the parallels of biblical examples in the book. Also, my roommate created an alternate title for the book (you would have to ask her what it is), and my mom and sister asked if the book is about horses. Lol no.


Second place: Let's All Be Brave by Annie F. Downs. This book came out a few years ago, but I just got my hands on it this past year. I was hoping to find some answers and commonalities in the book about bravery since my adventure to bravery year was going so strong, and I got more than I asked for. God affirmed some ideas I had through Annie's stories about following where Jesus leads her, whether it is expected and desired or completely unknown. I'm still learning what this means in my life, and I'm thankful that Annie was willing to share her experiences.


First place: Doing Good is Simple by Chris Marlow (launch team). I have been familiar with the work of Help One Now (a non-profit which Chris started) through the work of Jen and Brandon Hatmaker, Sarah Bessey, Jamie Ivey, and others. I loved reading where Chris came from and what inspired the start of HON. As one who has friends who have all gone on typical and atypical mission trips and learned their good and bad things from afar, I just feel like Chris gets it. I see the work of HON to empower sustainable projects to support families staying together, and it makes sense to me. Help One Now seems to help others so well, and I try to model that in my life.


That was it for movies and music and books, 2016. You exceeded expectations in some areas, and you failed in others; I think that's ok. I took risks, I sought wisdom, I opened myself to vulnerability and emotions, and I took adventures. I only hope I can do the same and more through #2017courage.


"Be strong. Be courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified, for the Lord your God goes with you. he will never leave you or forsake you." -Deuteronomy 31:6











No comments:

Post a Comment