Pages

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

"Come sit at the table, come taste the grace"

So, here's the thing about going to theological school, being active in a church, and being a lifelong Jesusy person: I took communion four times within the past week.

I know, right, it's like probably excessive. Probably. But it doesn't really feel that way.

To recap my life in last week's busyness, I attended a lecture at school on Monday which concluded with a chapel service that offered communion. On Thursday, I attended our regular chapel service which always has communion, a fact that I love. On Sunday morning, my church celebrated communion as part of our service. On Sunday evening, I was with the group of high school girls who I co-lead where we had a church service including communion with all of the the high school students from across the church's six campuses.

Therefore, four times to take communion in less than a week. Love it.

I guess there's probably a lot wrapped into the idea of Communion / Lord's Supper / Eucharist / whatever your tradition chooses to call it. This sacrament is celebrated in various ways between different faith communities.

From those with whom I have experience or knowledge, some communities open the table to anyone who is interested in a relationship with God, some people believe that communion should only be offered to people who are baptized believers of Christ, and some churches offer communion only to the official members of their community who proclaim Christ as Savior.

Similarly, some practice it every time they are together as a church body, some practice it monthly, and some practice it at various times throughout the year. Even further, some believe that only ordained or consecrated religious leaders should serve communion, some think it is acceptable for anyone with a calling to share it, and then some say anyone can break the bread and serve the juice to commune.

It can be a lot of church wordiness, tbh. And, because of my personal draw toward inclusiveness, I tend to think that the experience of communion should be open to all believers and anyone who is seeking to take the next step toward faith. As a former pastor of mine has said repeatedly, "We do the setting [of the table], and He [God] does the inviting."

While there is such a lack of commonality of practice over this common practice, I still find it to be the most welcoming and most basic and most easily attainable and most shareable sacrament of all. Baptism, confirmation, ordination, and other such sacraments (literally meaning sacred moments) all seem like such rites of passage to me, whereas sharing a meal together is simple and holy in its premise. (Info for reference supplied by The Upper Room / Chrysalis / God's Gift to You)

The first time that I was asked to help serve communion was such an unexpected yet pivotal moment in my life as a Christian and likely in my journey toward becoming a religious leader in whatever capacity it shall be (because lol let's be honest, I still don't know what my "calling" is...and that word is in quotes because it freaks me out).

In October of 2015, just barely over two years ago, I was serving as the lay leader of a Chrysalis RUSH worship service with a very small crowd. Upon realizing that the clergy leading the time of communion was the only clergyperson in the room, I became the next in command by a process of elimination. I was asked to help serve the communion juice, and it was such a holy, awe-striking experience that I could not explain.

Not too long before moving this fall, I shared some things at my home church in Illinois about preparing for seminary, and my church family prayed for me as I prepared to embark on this courageous journey. A going away party-but-not-party was planned for me later in the day, but we shared communion to close the service. I was asked to assist in serving that day, and it was - again - such an experience of honor and grace.

My view of communion changed from a ritual to a truly sacred moment on that first Saturday in October two years ago. I still catch myself partaking methodically at times rather than participating fully, and then I remember those moments when I was asked to share in the serving of commemorating Jesus' final meal before his crucifixion. Such powerful yet simple moments stand out to me, and they are marked with such powerful yet simple words in scripture.

"During the meal, Jesus took and blessed the bread, broke it, and gave it to his disciples:
Take, eat.
This is my body.
Taking the cup and thanking God, he gave it to them:
Drink this, all of you.
This is my blood,
God's new covenant poured out for many people for the forgiveness of sins."
Matthew 26:26-28 MSG

----------

If you are part of a faith community, I encourage you to not worry about the differences in how the Eucharist is shared or who is exclusive to celebrating the Lord's Supper. Rather, I invite you to treasure the moment each time when you observe the symbolism of Christ's body broken for you and Christ's blood that was shed for you.

If you are not part of a faith community or not sure of where you fit into all of this church lingo, I encourage you to dialogue or read into the scripture about this seemingly simple and possibly odd tradition that has such great meaning and personal invitation to the love of Jesus.

I pray that as we worry about the stress of life and the struggles of our literal earth and the causes for hurt brought by the people in our world, that we would remember the openness to the table with anyone to be calm, to lead with grace, and to love.

----------

Lyrics in title from "Come as You are" by Crowder

2 comments: