Pages

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Ash Wednesday: An opening in this Lenten season

I have never much liked the idea of giving up something for Lent. In recent years when I have been asked about my intended sacrifice to declare for the next 40 days, I have given my rebel Christian answer to say that I haven't done that for years and I'm not really into that now.

While it has been suggested to me in community settings to give up a few things this Lenten season (certain foods, social media, etc.), I'm not great at listening to others sometimes. Oops.

I have sacrificed a lot in this season of life: comfort, lifelong friendships, being at important events and celebrations that I have never before missed. I'm really not ready to give up anything else (except maybe laundry), so I think I'll take up something instead.

-----

Kaitlin Curtice wrote a great piece about Lent, and I am challenged by her statement: "So this Lent, I intend to keep my mind alert."

I, too, intend to keep my mind alert.

I am willing to take up the act of doing more in honesty of my relationship with God during this season of Lent in 2018, the 40 days between Ash Wednesday / Valentine's Day and Easter / April Fool's Day (the way the holidays coincide this year is hilarious to me).

I had a friend who has told me a few times that I don't *have to* speak out against or for everything that I believe. I think maybe my friend was scared, and maybe I am, too. It's not easy to publicly say that something is on my mind when it would be easier to stick to the status quo. Yet, I feel so strongly that God calls us to transparency and honesty to live true to ourselves and true to the divine.

So, I'm proposing something different for myself. I'm sharing each week until Easter about something that is important to me: a cause about which I believe, an organization that I support, or ideas and interpretations that may be unpopular but that I just can't shake.

And I won't even encourage you to join me. You do you during this time of Lent. If you need space between you and God while everyone else commits to a sacrifice, I applaud that courage. If you do decide to sacrifice something, I appreciate your commitment to tradition and to leadership. If you choose another path, I would love to hear from you on this journey through the wilderness.

We each take up our crosses differently. Let it be so during Lent in 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment