Pages

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Week 3 of Lent: Raising nonviolent action

Welcome back, friends. In the ongoing series throughout the season of Lent in 2018, I am fostering conversations regarding topics of importance in my life. If you missed last week's feminist conversation, be sure to check it out and add to the dialogue taking place on Facebook.

Last week, I was part of planning and executing a worship service regarding the act of Jesus Christ taking up the cross. The topic was paired alongside the issue of taking up the cross alongside people who are incarcerated. Mass incarceration is a profit-making movement within the United States, and it is something that continues to baffle me. I don't understand why isolation is chosen as punishment over rehabilitation and social productivity. As with many other parts of my life, I have more questions than I have answers.

Amid all of the questions, I am sure about something: I have to take action. For some, this means working through prison ministry programs. For others, this means marching, protesting, and contacting legislators.

I want to be intentional about reaching out to a family member who is incarcerated. I received the address for my family member last week, and I need to follow up on sending mail soon. Someone has to start making change. It might as well be me.

-----

In 1964, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. visited the campus of Drew University where I am currently enrolled as a student at the Theological School. His speech from that event can be read here, and it can be listened to here.

As part of last week's worship service, I worked on the liturgy with friends. We were inspired by the nonviolent action encouraged by Dr. King's speech from 54 years prior, and his words became the basis of our litany. I invite you to read through the sacred words that follow.

-----

Litany 1

One:
For some strange reason,

Many:
I can never be what I ought to be

One:
Until you are what you ought to be,
and you can never be what you ought to be

Many:
Until I am what I ought to be.

One:
They say wait on time.
And so it is necessary for us
to help time and forever realize:

Many:
The time is always right to do right.

One:
And only when the people themselves
begin to act are these rights
which are written on paper given life blood.

Many:
Nonviolent direct action is necessary.

One:
I am still convinced
that the most potent weapon available
to oppressed people in their struggle
for freedom and human dignity
is nonviolent resistance.

-----

Litany 2

One:
The love ethic can stand at the center of a nonviolent movement.

Many:
It is the love of God operating in the human heart.

One:
It is nonsense to urge oppressed people to love their oppressor in an affectionate sense.

Many:
It is the love of God operating in the human heart.

One:
It is an overflowing love that seeks nothing in return.

Many:
It is the love of God operating in the human heart.

One:
Love is understanding, creative, redemptive good will for all.

Many:
It is the love of God operating in the human heart.

One:
No section of our country
can boast of clean hands
in the area of siblinghood.
No individual can live alone,
no nation can live alone.
We are interdependent.

Many:
“But let justice roll down like waters,
and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.”
Amos 5:24 CEB

-----

Dr. King's speech reminds me of "The Human Heart" from Once on This Island, an excellent musical that is currently on Broadway. I can't deny the interconnected nature of all people, just as I can't deny God's love for all. In whatever way is best for you, just do something.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kristen. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I found your post very creative which speaks about "Raising Nonviolent Action" and which has a sound Biblical base. I am blessed to go through it. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged,strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to b ring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2018. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete