Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

A series of unpopular opinions


I like to do series of #UnpopularOpinions sometimes on Twitter. They are mostly ridiculous things like how mint chip ice cream is the best, how I am against leggings as pants, and how Halloween trunk or treat parties are still Halloween parties.


While this is a silly pastime over social media, I am finding it increasingly obvious that I have some unpopular opinions about things. People may actually agree with me more on ice cream than I thought (I had six unexpected likes), but other parts of my life and my beliefs are not exactly the norm. While I’m ok with that and I like to dialogue respectfully about these issues, I find it necessary to stay true to myself and to my future career as a religious leader in some capacity to be honest about what I believe.

-----

To start off, I don’t believe in any white Jesus and white God stuff. When I walk into churches with pictures of Jesus as this white dude with a halo over blonde hair and some ocean blue eyes, I’m wondering if we are making Jesus into more of our pop band superstars than our savior. Geographically and historically, Jesus was born in the middle east. If you’ve ever seen any people from the middle east, you would likely notice that they don’t have white skin like I do.

I think people make God into who they want the divine to be. It would be easy as a white person with privilege who has lived in the Midwest for most of her life to say that God as human looks like me, but I cannot grasp onto that myth with any truthful beliefs because Jesus and I look different in being absolute opposites.

Actually, I really like that Jesus on earth doesn’t look like me.

-----

To keep in line with Jesus not looking like me to make me feel better, I see God as a gender-inclusive or maybe even gender-neutral being. While it is often shared of God as Father with a masculine pronoun used, I have been fascinated by reading the Bible in places where God is cast as a feminine presence such as Asherah (a traditionally-female Hebrew name) in Genesis, one who gives birth in Isaiah, and one who has the wisdom of Sophia (an oft-used female name in English).

I know many who refer to God the parent as both Mother and Father, who use he and she interchangeably when talking about the Creator and Sustainer of all life. Out of respect to my traditional-leaning friends and family, I tend to talk about God without gender. The Creator who can make females and males and all along the spectrum of gender identity from God’s own image is one who can encompass all distinctions and divisions.

-----

I find scripture to be essential – both from the Hebrew Bible and the Christian Testament while also valuing the Apocrypha and extracanonical works. They are a source of symbolic interpretation to be used in our current context while studying the historical, geographical, cultural, linguistic, and genre-based contexts from which the texts were written. And, because I find these research aspects to be so important, I often do not read the stories of the text literally.

Many of the stories of the Bible are encouraging, many blow my mind, and many are confusingly baffling. I certainly think that plenty of Bible stories are based on true historical figures and events: the prophet Isaiah writing the first part of the one book known by that name, the Israelite exilic period, and Paul and his letters.

But, I see many great stories that I do not take literally: Jonah and the big fish, Queen Esther, and Adam and Eve. As it is not often studied in traditional Christianity, these stories were told orally to share meanings and provide symbols for life circumstances.

I think the Bible is an amazing, sacred text that has so much for me to study further despite reading pieces of it for years. I genuinely believe that I have much more to learn about how these stories originated and what they mean to me now.

-----

I was speaking to a professor recently about the struggle between the literal interpretations that I was taught as a child and the more symbolic approach through which I am currently approaching sacred texts. I said that I struggle with how I can define which texts seem appropriate and which need further study because of how they are used in harmful ways. The professor presented the idea of seeing the text through a lens of ethics, and that has resonated with me.

It’s not that I want to dismiss scripture that people before me have deemed to be sacred texts as important in faith traditions. Rather, I absolutely feel as if I must read the Bible through the ways in which others will be treated. Scripture should not be used as something which can hurt and push away others.

Through the four sources of Christian life, also known by my United Methodist peeps as the “Wesleyan quadrilateral” – reason, tradition, scripture, and experience – I have learned this past semester in Systematic Theology that different understandings of Christianity rank the sources in orders that are pertinent to their interpretations.

My order changes sometimes, but I am currently ranking experience first with reason, scripture, and tradition to follow. To simply rate the four sources is rather simplistic because there’s a lot of intermingling that happens within the quadrilateral.

This probably places me among the Christians who fall into more progressive or liberationist “paradigms.” I’m sure I have been in this realm for years, but I have been aligned with organizations of traditional, conservative beliefs which I wanted to honor.

If someone would ask directly about my opinion on something, I would determine if it was a time when I could answer with honesty or if I could move around and past the question. I often felt as if I had to give a disclaimer that these were personal beliefs that I was working through and point out that the organizations and people with whom I was attached would teach differently.

-----

When a favorite author / kind-of-friend through book launching, Jen Hatmaker, disclosed that she was affirming of people who are LGBT in the church in October of 2016, I realized how harmful the backlash can be – not only to the allies who are affirming, but mostly to the people of the LGBTQI+ community.


If you had asked me ten years ago about my thoughts on homosexuality, I would have instantly repeated all things against it because I did not know of any other positions held by Christians.

If you had asked me six years ago about my thoughts on gay people, I would have said that we should be friends but they are living sinful lives. “Hate the sin, love the sinner,” is a terrible approach because of how harmful it is, but I believed it. At that time, it had become more nuanced because my friend (at the time, my recently-out gay ex-boyfriend) and other people who I knew through theatre were approaching times in their lives when they felt more comfortable coming out about their sexuality that defies the heteronormative culture in which we live.

If you ask me now about my thoughts on the LGBTQI+ community, I am quite direct: I believe in the full inclusion of people who are LGBTQI+. Full stop. For some friends, this is not any new information and this is something we can openly support as Christians. For some friends, this is an “issue” that probably seems shockingly against their foundational beliefs as Christians.

When I heard Nadia Bolz-Weber speaking at an event in October, I knew from her talk that I needed to write publicly about being affirming; there could be people around me who have never been told that God has always loved them and will still love them if they come out as gay or even that God created them as they are. This sounds very look-at-me-doing-good-things which I strive not to do, but I genuinely mean it. Within three months of hearing Nadia, I had three teenagers or young adults who felt comfortable telling me that they aren’t straight. And that’s ok.

I recognize that this is just a belief for me, but it is a matter of daily life for numerous friends and people who I respect. I have way too many friends who have walked away from God because they were rejected by Christians over sexuality. It makes me sick every time I think about them and how they have been hurt. Because I'm in theological school as a religious leader, I feel as if I am now responsible for speaking against the hate that causes such hurt from this heteronormativity and homophobia.

Honestly, I have been so amazed with the number of queer Christians who I have known throughout my life. I'm awed with their perseverance and their persistence to be part of the universal church even though the vocal majority of American Christian evangelicalism says that they should not be included. I have much to learn from my friends, and all I can do is continue to use my voice to affirm them.

-----

I’m living within the tension between conservative and liberal interpretations of faith of those who are close to me in proximity and in relations, but I feel as if I must be honest about where I stand within the church and within structures of faith. It is not an effort to ostracize anyone, to say that I’m right, or to ignore the foundations of faith that I knew growing up.

In Sarah Bessey’s book, Out of Sorts, she writes, “If our theology doesn’t shift and change over our lifetimes, then I have to wonder whether we’re paying attention.” These certainly aren’t beliefs that I have held within my entire life, but they’re also not entirely new concepts within my theological framework. I am working not to limit myself in future career opportunities as well as within Christian practices.


A guiding line for discovering and deepening my beliefs is “break my heart for what breaks yours” from Hosanna by Hillsong. If I am following God, then my heart will break for what could symbolically break the heart of God. I see people who are marginalized, placed as “others” in society, called “the least of these," and experiencing other forms of oppression, and I believe that God calls us to be a source of love and healing for people on the outside.

This is exactly the God whose model I want to follow. I want to be known for what I'm for: love, inclusion, acceptance, justice, freedom, creativity.

-----

So, here I am at the end of my first year of theological school. So much has shifted and changed, so much has remained the same, and so so so much is still to be explored. I can’t imagine what kind of #UnpopularOpinions I’ll develop within the next two years, whether about ice cream (blueberry cheesecake ice cream is actually pretty good, tbh) or about theology (so many more classes to take!).

I have found that sometimes after I post potentially-controversial content, people will dismiss me (if it’s your time to peace out, I wish you well) or be worried (lol, I’m good). I do think it’s best to have conversations when appropriate and when healthy dialogue will benefit all, but I recognize that this is unachievable sometimes. I hope you’ll stick around with me through this quest of discovering practices that are new to me and of building up unshakeable pieces of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment